Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Armour Con 2019 Report

After a day off dealing with a migraine, I'm looking at my notes from the con and trying to form them into a cohesive narrative.

Day 0: The Vendor's Room was open for us to set up in the night before so I brought in all of my stock and the demo kit.  Talked to a couple of the vendors, set up the table quickly, and headed home to rest.

Day 1.  I showed up at 9 am and set up the standee, chatted a little with the other vendors in the room, and did some minor exploring.  Joshua showed up at 11 and started setting up his side of the booth.  I ran my first demo right before noon.  After that I ran a second demo for four players, including Joshua.  Sat down and had lunch because I was a tiny bit hungry.  Ran a third demo at 3 pm with Joshua and two players, one of them a kid who had really good dice mojo.  Ran a fourth demo around 4 pm.  Attendance kind of died off at 5 pm so we closed up early and headed out for dinner.  I sold two Rulers and gave out seven participation packs over the day.

Day 2.  Showed up a little before Noon after a detour to the bank.  Ran into Cmdr. Rook at the booth, then Occam's Spork showed up.  Ran one demo, sold two rulers, and saw my friend Tom.  Started gathering players and tables for the tournament.  We set up two tables even though we only had enough players for one.  Said "hi" to my friend PJ Nicht who was in the same room as the tournament and was trying out a game.  Ran another demo for one person then that person joined the tournament after borrowing a squad.  The tournament consisted of Cmdr. Rook, Occam's Spork, PJ Nicht, Tom, and David (new guy).  The next several hours was spent bouncing between the tournament and the booth.  Sold two Starter kits and three Expansion packs to an enthusiastic customer.  Ran my girlfriend through a demo -- I got destroyed -- then sold another Starter kit and Expansion pack.  Got back to the tournament to find out that Tom and PJ Nicht managed a tie after a hard fought game.  Packed up both tables, then covered the booth 'til closing time.  Went out for Vietnamese food for dinner with my girlfriend and Joshua.  I gave away three participation packs on the day.

Day 3.  Showed up at Noon and sold two Rapid Attack books right off the bat.  Joshua showed up a little after that having made a quick stop to grab a dolly at a yard sale.  But after that it was very quiet.  I ran one demo then we started packing up at 2 pm just like the other vendors.  Sold one Starter kit as we began packing up.  Sold the last Starter kit and Expansion pack as we finished packing up.  I gave away one participation pack for the entire day.

Some random Thoughts.

  • This con was really personal to me as it was my idea and I did the organization.
  • As a first time convention there were some hiccups.
  • I made some mistakes myself.
  • I'm really hoping it makes it to a second year as it's really close to where I live.
  • Figured out on Saturday I have to rework my pronouns for demoing.
  • It was cool having a first-timer in the tournament but, I was hoping more people would make it out.
  • Apparently there were a fair amount of people taking pictures of the tournament tables.
  • Let's hope that turns into increased interest down the line.

No comments:

Post a Comment