Friday, November 8, 2019

Build Journal: Standing Stones

I had an idea descend on me a few weeks ago after discovering an interesting technique in a set review.  You'll have to wait to see the culmination of that idea but, in the meantime, here's a part of it.

I've come up with a fairly simple technique for making Standing Stones out of Lego.  These Neolithic creations can be found all over the world but they are generally associated with "Ye Olde England".  As part of my effort to keep things simple, I'm using a limited number of pieces.  Essentially it's a C6 for terrain.  I'm going to build them in Dark Bley to make them look like chunks of granite.  You could use Light Bley too, but I'm saving that for something else.  Other possible colors are Black pieces for basalt, Dark Tan for sandstone, or Dark Red for fancy marble.  It all depends on what kind of look you're going for.




Parts List




And depending on what you use for bases, if any, you can arrange them in shapes or rows to simulate walls.  At the moment I'm partial to Round Corner Plates.  If you put the Standing Stone on the plates in the same orientation, all you have to do is change the direction of the plates to make a pattern.














This basic parts list can be expanded upon if you want to make it look like
there are small sections of stone that have been chipped off or worn away.

2x2 Double Concave Slope.
2x2 Facet Brick.
2x3 Curved Top Brick.



If you want to make the stones a little tougher but still retain the same size you can use two bricks in place of one.  For example, replace a 2x4 Brick with two 1x4 Bricks.  My favorite trick for this is replacing a 2x3 Brick with two 2x2 Corner Bricks.

No comments:

Post a Comment