Tuesday, December 10, 2019

PAX Unplugged 2019 Report

So it's the Monday evening after PAX Unplugged 2018 and I'm finally typing up my notes.

I arrived in Philly around 7pm after getting stuck in traffic in NYC -- again -- and traffic in New Jersey after clearing the George Washington Bridge.  I found my hotel, parked my car in a better garage than last year, then dropped off my stuff at the booth.  I said "hi" to Meguey, Stephen, and Joshua.  Joshua and I then grabbed dessert at Mango Mango.  I went back to the hotel and did some exploring of my immediate area via Google maps before falling asleep.

Friday I managed to make it in to the hall an hour before opening after waking up at my usual time.  This morning featured my longest stay in the security line.  After making it in, I said "hi" to a few people in the booth, the grabbed my stuff and went searching for a place to set up.  I decided on a table in the Miniatures area.  I set up then did some exploring.  I ran one demo right after the hall opened then ended up answering questions rather than running demos -- as I put it to someone "lotsa nibbles, but no bites".  Went to lunch at 12:30 visiting District Taco and Kung Fu Tea.  I came back to Joshua running a demo.  Talked about MFZ to a bunch of people, ran a demo, then another for the same person plus two of his friends.  Ran a demo after that for four people, then one more for a single player before the hall closed.  I gave out ten participation packets and sold six Rulers.  I made the mistake of wearing a pair of boots for the entire day and it messed up my lower back for the rest of the con.  Remember, always wear good footwear folks.

Saturday I got out early and bought new sneakers -- and socks which I forgot to pack along with a water bottle.  Set up on a round table -- planning ahead for the big game -- in the Social Gaming area, which was right next to the Miniatures area.  I ran an abbreviated demo right after the hall opened.  Then I ran a four player, a four player, and a three player demo right in a row.  I had spent the morning worrying about who was going to show up but we manged to have a four player game that started at 1pm and ran 'til 4:40pm.  I walked the Vendor Hall 'til  close.  I gave out six participation packs and sold two Rulers, three Expansions, and five Starter Kits.  I met Zero Revenge and Gatling Gouf from the Hangar.  I wanted to visit Cooperage Philly again but it closed back in August.  I went to Naf Naf Grill instead.

Sunday I did some shopping at TJ Maxx for a clone brick set before going in to the hall.  I set up in the Miniatures area again -- right in front this time!  Ran a one player demo right after opening, which I unfortunately won.  Ran a four player demo after that -- one of the players was Chris, out hype man from the big game two years ago.  Ran a two player demo.  Ran a three player demo, including my friend Witt, then went to lunch.  Oishii Poke and Kung Fu Tea this time.  I came back to find Joshua running a demo.  After relieving Joshua, I ran a demo for a kid with my friend Witt sitting in.  After that I closed up the demo table and went to see the parts of the con I hadn't along with doing some shopping.  I helped break down the booth and listened for a little while to the brass band that someone brought in to close out the con.  We loaded out then I headed home.  I gave out sixteen participation packs and sold two Expansions, and four Rulers.  I saw my friend Vlad again this year.

Random thoughts about the con:
  • Once again I was worried/annoyed /frustrated on Friday morning by the lack of running demos.
  • I got a suggestion from Chris about possibly getting more pictures online from future cons.
  • I had an idea for renaming Expansion Packs to Booster Packs and actually making a larger Expansion Set.
  • I gave away the same amount of participation packs as I did last year.
  • I also ran the same amount of demos.
  • Everyone I pitched the idea of a MFZ tournament to seemed receptive.

No comments:

Post a Comment