Tuesday, September 5, 2023

Battle Report: Cherry Blossom Forest 5

After we had a rousing round of schedule jenga, we managed to get together last weekend for August's edition of MFZ: Rapid Attack.  We playtested a new set of rules that were brainstormed on the Discord recently.  After sitting out for a year, I put the "Cherry Blossom Forest" on the table for this game.

Occam's Spork (5 Frames & 20 Systems) = (7 Points per Asset) * (7 assets) = 49 points.  (Yellow Flag)
   
Grey Scouting Bodyguard -- 2Rh/2Rd/1B/1Y/2W.
    Brown Scouting Bodyguard -- 2Rh/2Rd/1B/1Y/2W.
   White Scouting Bodyguard -- 2Rh/2Rd/1B/1Y/2W.
   Orange 
Recon by Fire -- 2Ra+d8/2Y/2W.
   Blue Moving Wall -- 2B/2G+d8/2W + SSR (x3).

Me (6 Frames & 24 Systems) = (5 Points per Asset) * (8 assets) = 40 points.  (Tesseron)  (Red Flag)
   Brown Soldier -- 2Rd/1B/1G/1Y/2W + SSR.
   White Soldier -- 2Rd/1B/1G/1Y/2W.
   Red Brawler -- 2Rh+d8/2B/1Gd8/2W + SSR.
   Lime Brawler -- 2Rh+d8/2B/1Gd8/2W + SSR.
   Yellow Recon by Fire -- 2Ra+d8/2Y/2W.
   Tan Recon by Fire -- 2Ra+d8/2Y/2W.

Phungkyjams (7 Frames & 28 Systems) = (3 Points per Asset) * (9 assets) = 27 points.  (Matoran)  (Blue Flag)
   Red Brawler -- 2Rh+d8/2B/1Gd8/2W.
   Dark Red Recon by Fire -- 2Ra+d8/2Y/2W.
   Sand Blue Light Guardian -- 2Rd/2Ra/1B/1Y/2W.
   Blue Soldier -- 2Rd/1B/1G/1Y/2W + SSR.
   Green Commando -- 2Rh/1B/1Gd8/2Y/2W + SSR (x2).
   Lime Warrior -- 2Rh/1B/1G+d8/1Y/2W.
   Black Closer -- 2Rh+d8/2Rd/1B/2W.

This is what the table looked like at the start of the game.











Events of Round 1 (DDC@11): Occam's Spork's White frame captures Phungkyjams' Flag Station before the game starts.  Occam's Spork's Blue frame picks up his Flag Station and runs South with it.  Phungkyjams' Dark Red frame steps sideways and hits Occam's Spork's Blue frame for 1, Flag Drop Station Dance.  My Brown frame moves South and hits Phungkyjams' Lime frame for 1 and the tree it was using as cover for 2.  Phungkyjams' Blue frame runs Southeast and hits Occam's Spork's Grey frame for 1 and destroys the tree it was using as cover with 3 damage.  Occam's Spork's Grey frame retaliates on Phungkyjams' Blue frame for 2.  Phungkyjams' Green frame hits the tree in front of my Yellow frame for 1 with a SSR.  My Yellow frame then moves West and hits Occam's Spork's Brown frame for 1, Station Dance.  Occam's Spork's Brown frame then hits Phungkyjams' Blue frame for 2.  Phungkyjams' Sand Blue frame steps across the stream and hits Occam's Spork's Orange frame for 3.  Occam's Spork's White frame picks up Phungkyjams' Flag Station and moves South with it.  My Tan frame hits Occam's Spork's White frame for 1, Flag Drop Station Dance.  My Lime frame moves West onto the tan hill and hits Occam's Sporks Blue frame for 3 with a SSR.


Occam's Spork:
 56 Points.
Me: 40 points.
Phungkyjams: 24 points.





Events of Round 2 (DDC @ 8): Occam's Spork's Orange frame hits Phungkyjams' Blue frame for 1, which then retreats to another copse of trees.  My Brown frame -- after hitting Phungkyjams' Lime frame for 2 -- moves behind one of the rock pillars.  My Tan frame hits Occam's Spork's Orange frame for 2.  Phungkyjams' Red frame advances onto the path and hits Occam's Spork's Brown frame for 5, Station Dance.  My Yellow frame hits Occam's Spork's Orange frame for 3, destroying it.


Occam's Spork:
 49 Points.
Me: 40 points.
Phungkyjams: 24 points.




Events of Round 3 (DDC @ 6): My Lime frame moves forward to engage Occam's Spork's Blue frame, which then retreats to the Southern Torii while hitting my Lime frame for 2.  My Lime frame captures his Flag Station.  
Phungkyjams' Red frame moves Southeast and hits my Lime frame for 3, Station Dance.  Phungkyjams'  Black frame hits my Red frame for 1.  Phungkyjams' Dark Red frame hits my White frame for 2.  Phungkyjams' Blue frame hits my Yellow frame for 2.  My Yellow frame hits Phungkyjams' Black frame for 3.  My Tan frame hits Phungkyjams' Blue frame for 2, destroying it.  My Brown frame hits Phungkyjams' Black frame for 2, destroying it.


Occam's Spork:
 42 Points.
Me: 40 points.
Phungkyjams: 21 points.




Events of Round 4 (DDC @ 3):  Occam's Spork's White frame hits my Lime frame for 2, destroying it.  Phungkyjams' Green frame hits Occam's Spork's Brown frame for 3, Flag Drop Station Dance.  My Red frame captures the dropped Flag.  Phungkyjams' Sand Blue frame hits my Brown frame for 4.  My Brown frame hits Phungkyjams' Lime for 2, Station Dance.  My Brown frame captures his Station after running through the stream and under the bridge.  Phungkyjams' Lime frame punches my Brown frame for 5, destroying it.  Phungkyjams' Lime frame then recaptures his Station.  My White frame runs on to the pathway and captures Occam's Spork's Station.  Phungkyjams' Red frame hits my White frame for 3, Station Dance.  Phungkyjams' Red frame captures Occam's Spork's Station.  The Doomsday Clock is ticked to zero.



Me:
 35 points.
Phungkyjams: 24 points.
Occam's Spork: 21 Points.










Here are several during and aftermath pictures.

Round 1
Round 1
Round 1


Round 2
Round 1
Round 2

Round 3


Round 3








Round 4


Round 3



Round 4
Round 4












Round 4
Round 4









Round 4

Round 4



















Thoughts & Observations:
  • This was a Battle.
  • We tried out the "Capture the Flag" rules I proposed back in July.
  • In the lead up to this game I wasn't sure what I was going to put on the table.
  • I knew after the last game Phungkyjams was going to come in heavy and Occam's Spork usually comes in heavy, so I wanted a team that could exploit that without resorting to a roll off.
  • Before everyone arrived I was looking at two squads in hopes that I could field seven Frames, six fully loaded and a Missile Monkey to mess around with the PPA calculations.
  • Both the squads I was looking at only had six Frames and I couldn't finish a seventh in time.
  • Turns out I didn't need to.  :-)
  • We all agreed the "Capture the Flag" rules worked but wanted to test them with more players.
  • Flickr page.

No comments:

Post a Comment