Monday, April 3, 2023

SLAB Baseplates

My friend JP saw Slab Dream Labs SLAB Baseplates in a "Bricks & Minifigs" store yesterday and mentioned them to me.  (This was not the only Lego related thing brought to my attention by friends yesterday.)  So in between running errands I did a dive into what they had to offer.

Rocky Road
Lunar Surface

They have several interesting
backgrounds that are printed on
to the baseplates.  These baseplates
are generally available in 12"x12",
24"x24", and 48"x24" selections.











They also have several cool combination/sets of plates available.  Like
the image I selected which rekindles ideas of Frame Racing in my mind.







CADmonkey pointed this out on the Discord, the construction is not
standard Lego.  Both the SLAB and SLAB Lite are thicker than normal
Baseplates.  They're closer to a Brick in thickness from the looks of the
picture.  Also, the SLAB design has a sheet of MDF as the bottom layer.




So these are pretty neat and I get *ideas* just looking at them.  But, the construction could lead to possible issues with storage, compatibility, and also cost.  You also have the issues that playing on baseplates brings to MFZ.  These could expand the options for table-settings, just be aware of what you're -- literally -- bringing to the table.


No comments:

Post a Comment