Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Terrain Workshop: Trees 1 Revisit

Over two years ago I started working on making terrestrial-style trees for MFZ Cover/terrain. I'm looping back to that initial post as I had an idea last Friday on how to improve the design I posted the first time around.



As I mentioned in that first post, the problem with the basic design
is that it's seven pieces total.  Which is not evenly divisible by
six, which is the magic number when it comes to building Cover.







While this design fixes that problem, it also requires use of a Reddish-Brown Travis Brick
in the base.  It looks nice but I was never quite happy with the look and parts usage.






This, on the other hand, brings the Round Plates w/3 Leaves off the base and on to the
Small Palm Leaves.  Borrowing from the third design in that first post, it also adds a 1x1
Round Plate under the Inkwell.  This brings the total parts count to twelve which is 2
Hits.  Yes, the small leaves are a different type than the larger ones but I'm okay with that.


If you don't like the Round Plates w/3 Leaves then you could substitute four 1x1 Round Plates w/Flower Edge (5 Petals) instead.  This gives you the chance to add a splash of
color to your trees.  You have to be a bit careful though as if you push the Small Palm
Leaves on too far to the bars the Flower Plates will pop off.  Going back to the last
iteration for a second, you could use some of the non-Green Round Plates w/3 Leaves
which would help to explain away the difference between the small and large leaves.



If you don't like that idea, you could substitute four Apollo Studs
inside the Small Palm Leaves.  This variant gives the leaves
a little clearance away from the trunk of the tree as well.





Here's the usual size comparison.  I hope this helps people with
future tree designs for MFZ: Rapid Attack.  Of course this has given
me a few ideas for tweaking some of my other old tree builds.

No comments:

Post a Comment