Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Spotlight: Zizy

One builder whom everyone should be familiar with is Zizy.  He's been building mecha and posting them online since sometime in 2003 as near as I can tell.  As far as I know, he's never officially built anything for Mechaton.  He has been copied extensively by other builders though.  Hell, even Soren Roberts has copied his work.  In fact I think it's one of the rights of passage for the Mechaton/MFZ community; copy a mecha just by looking at a photograph, build a Zizy Frame, etc.  Of course people like Kashiwa and Omnipotent might be taking it a little far.

Zizy has so many different pictures in his Brickshelf gallery, which is here, that you can get lost in there for hours.  One of his most prolific builds is the AF Frame.  The best view of which can be seen here.

Here's a couple of my favorites built off of that frame.

He also has a "proto" frame, seen here.

Which looks like this when additional parts are added.

Of course he switches things up again with the Vertical Machine frame.

Here it is with armor and weapons.


I don't think it's unreasonable to call him the Michaelangelo of the microscale mecha community.  Go.  See. Copy.  Learn.

8 comments:

  1. OMG! I want a build breakdown of the last one on this post! PLEASE!!!!!???!??!!!?!??!??!!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One, the basic frame is right above it. Two, I'm not sure I have the time or the parts neccesary to actually build that design. Sorry.

      Delete
  2. Amazing stuff.
    I can´t figure out the details of the torso assembly of the Verticla Machine. Anyone help out with that bit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing it's all arranged around this piece. http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=4595

      Delete
  3. Thanks !
    I also checked his brickshelf for more pictures.
    Fantastic stuff.
    http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=2179939

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh. That's a good photo. I'll totally have to re-think how it's constructed now.

      Delete
  4. I've managed to recreate the VM frame. The chest is assembled with te same hinge type as the toes.

    ReplyDelete