Thursday, December 17, 2015

Battle Report: The Anatomy of a Demo Game

My friend Rusty Panama couldn't make the game last Sunday so I visited him last night and we ran through a demo game so he could get more acquainted with the rules.

Me (2 Frames & 8 Systems) = (5 Points per Asset) * (2 assets) = 10 points.
   RB-91RF Boxxer -- 2Ra+d8/2Y/2W+SSR.
   RB-91H Boxxer -- 2Rd/2B/1Y/2W+SSR.
Rusty Panama (2 Frames & 8 Systems) = (5 Points per Asset) * (2 assets) = 10 points.
   Scavenger Thumper -- 2Ra+d8/1B/1Y/2W+SSR.
   Scavenger Brawler -- 2Rh+d8/2B/1Gd8/2W+SSR.

Starting out with the same amount of Frames and Systems makes the start of a demo game even, which is good for a person who has never played the game before and hasn't been exposed to the asymmetrical nature of starting points in Mobile Frame Zero.  Also, putting a single Station in the middle of the board gives an obvious object or point in space to fight over which is also good for beginners.

This is what the table looked like at the start of the game.  My forces are on the right side of the board.



Events of Turn 1 (DDC@7): Rusty's Brawler frame takes the Station.  His Thumper frame hits my RB-91RF frame for 1 damage.  My RB-91RF frame hits his Brawler frame for 2 damage.  My RB-91H frame hits Rusty's Brawler for 1 damage.
Rusty: 15 points.
Me: 10 points.

Events of Turn 2 (DDC@5):  My RB-91H frame hits Rusty's Brawler for 1 damage.
Rusty: 15 points.
Me: 10 points.

Events of Turn 3 (DDC@3): My RB-91H frame hits Rusty's Brawler for 1 damage.  My RB-91RF frame hits his Brawler frame for 1 damage and finishes it off.
Rusty: 10 points.
Me: 10 points.

Events of Turn 4 (DDC@1): I seize the Station.  The Doomsday Clock is ticked down to zero.





Me: 15 points.
Rusty: 5 points.






Thoughts & Observations:
  • Sorry about the crappy pictures.  I forgot my green felt and I should have rolled back that tablecloth.
  • I set the clock to seven because a two turn game is just too short.
  • Rusty made the smart choice to grab the Station right away and try to control the tempo of the game.
  • His Brawler almost held on.  Three turns of Hit, Spot, Hit is a long time to take damage.
  • We both had SSRs and never used them.  Whoops.
  • I don't think anyone has posted a breakdown of a short game using Vincent's Demo Rules.  I hope this helps anyone who is thinking of running a demo to introduce people to the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment