Monday, December 29, 2014

Unpacking 2

At one point during a discussion of PaB cups and the techniques used to fill them someone asked, "Why bother?"  This question has sat in the back of my brain for a while and only really resurfaced when I made a blitz on my local PaB wall.  I was in a hurry and didn't have time to stack and sort so I just grabbed handfuls of whatever caught my eye.  Let's see how this compares to neatly sorting and stacking in terms of piece count.


That's what it looked like before I started taking pieces out.

Parts 1.  60 pieces.






Parts 2.  77 pieces.

Parts 3.  72 pieces.









Parts 4. 25 pieces.

Parts 5.  84 pieces.









Parts 6.  350 pieces.



Okay.  That's a total of 668 pieces at $8.74, which gives us a $0.01 Price per Piece.  This time I had more pieces.  But it's invalidated by the fact that this time it was a majority of plates and tiles -- smaller pieces taking up less volume -- as opposed to a majority of bricks with tile filler.

To prove another point, I repacked the entire thing with the items restacked that could be.  As you can see there's plenty of empty space left in the cup.

I guess I'll have to try and re-create the first cup at some point and do a comparison that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment