Friday, January 22, 2021

Anatomy of a Demo Game 6

The title should really read "Anatomy of a Playtest".  I've had an idea for a table-setting involving dinosaurs banging around my head for years.  After I accumulated enough Lego dinosaurs, a few more ideas on rules to go along with them took shape.  I was originally going to start playtesting with my gaming group then Covid hit and we stopped playing.  Almost a year has passed since that point so I decided to attempt a playtest in a demo game format.

Me (2 Frames & 8 Systems) = (5 Points per Asset) * (2 assets) = 10 points.  (Trons)
   Tron Soldier Red -- 2Rd/1B/1G/1Y/2W.
   Tron Soldier Blue -- 2Rd/1B/1G/1Y/2W.

Meara (2 Frames & 8 Systems) = (5 Points per Asset) * (2 assets) = 10 points.  (Mearauders)
   Mearauder Soldier Red -- 
2Rd/1B/1G/1Y/2W.
   Mearauder
 Soldier Blue -- 2Rd/1B/1G/1Y/2W.

This is what the table looked like at the start of the game.  My forces are on the bottom of the board in the first picture.













Events of Turn 1 (DDC@7): Meara's Frames move towards the station.  My Red frame moves out from behind the Large Triple Tree and hits the Velociraptor for 3 damage, killing it.  My Blue frame also moves out of cover and hits the Small Triple Tree in front of Meara's Blue frame for 3 damage, destroying the tree.  The Stygimoloch moves towards Meara's Red frame.

Meara: 10 points.
Me: 10 points.







Events of Turn 2 (DDC@5):
 Meara's Red frame moves to intercept my Blue frame.  
My Blue frame captures the Station.  Meara's Blue frame hits my Blue frame for 1 damage.  My Red frame moves to get a better angle on both of the opposing Frames and hits Meara's Red frame for 1 damage.  The Stygimoloch moves to the Large Triple Tree where Meara's Frames started.



Me: 15 points.
Meara: 10 points.






Events of Turn 3 (DDC@3): Meara's Red frame hits my Blue frame for 1.  Meara's Blue frame hits my Blue frame for 1.  The Stygimoloch keeps moving along the same path.




Me: 15 points.
Meara: 10 points.





Events of Turn 4 (DDC@1):  My Blue frame hits Meara's Red frame for 1.  The Doomsday Clock is ticked to zero.


Me:
 15 points.
Meara: 10 points.








Here are more final turn pictures.




Thoughts & Observations:
  • We didn't use Single Shot Rockets.
  • I created a new Station just for this game.
  • This didn't work out like I expected it to.
  • Maybe the dinosaurs need to go first in the round, before everyone else, instead of last.
  • Only having two, one of which was killed in the first round, may have also been a bad decision.
  • Also, a 1x1 game doesn't leave a lot of breathing room for other elements.  it's just a straight up slugfest and side issues get ignored in favor of dealing with the opponent.
  • I think the main problem is I've been thinking of them as actual animals.  What they should really be is plot complications in an action adventure movie.
  • Or maybe they need a player of their own, as suggested by Meara.

No comments:

Post a Comment