Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Build Journal: Centauroid Mecha Frame

This build journal is going to be a little different.  I'm going to take one of my old Frames and refurbish it. 
Specifically, this one.
This was made before Mixel Ball Joints existed.  I'm going to use a couple of those and some of the techniques from my Build Journal: Quads to make this look a little better.

Old
New
First of all I'm going to change the old "waist" to the new Technic Knob Wheel design.


I was never happy with the one stud connection of the Travis Brick to the "spine".  Switching to the new design also saves me four Pneuma-Ts.




It does take away some of the vertical mobility of the legs but it's a sturdier connection and lowers the overall height.  I'm also filling out the lower legs and reinforcing the knee connection so it doesn't pop free every time you bend them.

Old
New

Second I'm going to replace the current spine with a 1/2 Technic Pin w/2L Bar Extension.  This will fit through the 1x2 Technic Brick that is the current core of the upper torso.  This means that I'll have to flip the head over so that the back of the Headlight Brick now mounts on the 1x1 Round Plate instead of the front.





Old
New
The third change is where it gets a little tricky.  I have to figure out a way to mount ball joints as the shoulders.  Which, as it turns out, wasn't so tricky.  I just used the arm design from my Warden frame.  I may experiment in future with other arm designs.

So here's the end result.  It may have lost a little height but it's more expressive.  What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment