Wednesday, September 8, 2021

Terrain Workshop: Papercraft Trees 2

In a continuing effort to make better -- and more interesting -- terrain, I've experimented with more paper creations.  This time I'm using a folding technique that Lego uses with its Minifig Capes.  This technique creates a bend in the paper/cloth which creates more volume and that's what we're looking for when using pieces of paper.




This is the fifth papercraft tree.  It's not originally what I was working towards
but after a quick tweak it turned into something worth keeping.  It will
take four hits before being completely destroyed.  Brickshelf gallery.









Here's a size comparison picture.  In 6P scale it's 52 feet tall.








Here's a breakdown of the parts involved.  If you swap out the three 1x1
Round Plates for a 1x1 Round Brick the total number of pieces comes 
down to 18.  I'm not sure why I didn't do this in the first place.  I dipped
back into the parts I used with the original Lego Tree Build Journal by
using an Inkwell to connect the lower trunk section to  the upper.


This is the template used to make the "leaf" sections.





Let's talk Pros & Cons.  Pros: It's tall and should look good on a table.  It's a
reasonable amount of some fairly common parts.  Cons: The technique
used to build it is a little fiddly (see picture).  The Minifig Ring piece is
only in 31 sets.  You'll only get 1.5 to 2 trees out of one piece of paper.

So, once again, I hope people like this and find it useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment