Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Terrain Workshop: Papercraft Quonset Hut 2

My prior attempt at a papercraft Quonset Hut worked pretty well.  Although I came up with a way to reduce the amount of parts after I put up the blog post.  After the last game I was talking with the other players about terrain and something one of them said brought to mind my old "Sci-Fi Outpost" table-settingI've used Quonset Huts as some of the terrain for that setting.  So I figured I'd try and update those old builds with the new hotness.  :-)

So I was wrong in saying that these would always be six Studs wide and three Bricks tall, 15 feet by 9 feet in 6P scale, since I figured out a way to add one Brick level in height.  With this build we have the Curved Slope 3x1x2 w/Stud as before.  But we add in a Brick 1x3 on top of one Brick 1x2 and one Brick w/1Stud on Side, to form half of the end of the hut.  Double it up to finish the end then double those up to get the other end.  Cover it in two pieces of paper, holes punched at the corners.  Instead of using Round Tiles to hold the paper in place, we're using 1x8 Tiles at the bottom and 2x2 Tiles at the top.  This cuts four pieces out of the total.  The door is still a Window Frame 1x2x2.6 topped with a Square Tile.  That totals up to 24 pieces which is 4 Hits.  So I managed to make a larger version with the same parts total.  In 6P scale this version is 13 feet Tall by 15 feet Wide by 22.5 feet Long -- counting the doorway.

I've discovered while working on the most recent papercraft builds that Log Bricks make excellent templates for marking the spots where the holes have to go.

If you want to update the smaller version, swap out the 1x2 Bricks for a 1x4 Brick.  Along with the changes to the Tiles securing the paper, that brings the parts total down to 18 pieces which is 3 Hits.


Standard Size Comparisons.



I hope people like this continuing exploration of using paper in terrain builds.

No comments:

Post a Comment