Monday, August 16, 2021

Terrain Workshop: Papercraft Quonset Hut

I've made a couple of attempts at building Quonset Huts in Lego.  They've always felt too "sturdy" for something that's basically a half tube of corrugated aluminum with walls at either end.



Version 1, not curved enough.  Brickshelf galley.


Version 2, better but still not right.  Brickshelf gallery.




The first one will take eight Hits before being completely destroyed, the second one six, and this is something with an 8 Stud by 6 Stud footprint.  Compare them to this building which covers the area of six of those Quonset Huts and only takes 10 Hits to destroy.

For some reason this part stuck in my head the other day as I was driving home from work.  Put it on top of one Brick 1x2 and one Brick w/1Stud on Side, then double it up to get one end of the Hut.  Double it again to get the other end.  Cover it in two pieces of paper, holes punched at the corners, held in place by Round Tiles.  Use a Window Frame 1x2x2.6 as a door section and top it with a Square Tile.  That totals up to 24 pieces which is 4 Hits.  It's always going to be six Studs wide and three Bricks tall, 15 feet by 9 feet in 6P scale, but you can control the length of the building by changing the length of the paper sections.

Brickshelf gallery

I guess I should have used pencil to mark out the sections of paper.  I also had to cut a third paper section because when I punched the holes the first time I was way off and it didn't fit.  The second and third pieces I measured against the framework and marked the spots for the holes.  I ended up putting the parts on a base because the doorway would have been freestanding without it.  In 6P Scale this ends up being 17.5 feet long by 15 feet wide by 9 feet tall -- not counting the doorway.




I also made a different doorway section because
I couldn't find the arched window piece at first.


Standard Size Comparisons.


I hope people like this continuing exploration of using paper in terrain builds.

No comments:

Post a Comment