Friday, August 20, 2021

Build Journal: Beat Box Bot

Last week there was a small discussion on the Discord about Minifig Scale frames.  It crops up every now and then as it tickles peoples fancies.  I've built a few at that scale.  I've even played in a game at that scale.  Let's just say I'm not immune to the allure of larger Frame designs.  So when I saw this creation, it sparked an idea in my head that I just had to chase.

The main goal at the start of this was to build a framework to support the Container and Container Cover combination and to act as a foundation for the legs.  I grabbed a bunch of 1x2x2 Bricks along with some Technic Ball Joint pieces and some Technic Bricks to do just that.


After I figured out it would work, I started in on mounting points for Systems and making it prettier.  With Dark Bley and Black being the color of the body -- aside from the White Beatbit container -- I went with Light Bley for Systems.  And instead of the Technic Bricks running down the back of the I replaced them with a Plate w/Rounded Corners & Feet and a regular Plate.  I expanded the hip section under the container using 2x2x2 Slopes and 2x2 Inverted Slopes.  I changed the feet too, you can see the construction in the picture.  I also greebled up the backside -- if that doesn't sound like some crazy English slang, I don't know what does -- along with adding more greebles to the inside of the cockpit.  Small manipulator arms finished out the changes.


I went with the standard Soldier line-up for Systems -- as that's what I usually do unless I have a specific idea in mind.
d6Rdd6Rd (quad cannon) d6B (shield) d6G (leg rockets) d6Y (sensor turret) d6Wd6W

Part of the "Leg Rockets" are Light Grey rather than Light Bley but I don't think you'd notice unless you're looking for it.


Here's my standard size comparison so you know just how big Minifig Scale really is.

No comments:

Post a Comment