Monday, May 9, 2022

System Notation

There was some discussion of Split Range Weapons last week and I found myself having difficulty writing out System loadouts in a quick and easy manner.  There's a method that has seen long term use in the community -- and I'll detail that first -- but I didn't feel it met my needs in that conversation at that moment.  So this will be my attempt to come up with a new form of System notation.

First, the method we -- the MFZ community -- have been using for a while.

2Rd = one Direct Fire System.
2Rd+d8 = two Direct Fire Systems.
2Ra = one Artillery System.
2Ra+d8 = two Artillery Systems.
2Rh = one Melee System.
2Rh+d8 = two Melee Systems.
1B = one Defensive System.
2B = two Defensive Systems.
1G = one Movement System.
2G = two Movement Systems.
1Y = one Spotting System.
2Y = two Spotting Systems.
1W = one White die.
2W = two White dice.
1SSR = one Single Shot Rocket.
1Gd8 = one Sprint die.

When writing out this form of natation I list Weapon Systems first -- because that's the first thing you're looking for when attacking and the name of the game is Rapid Attack -- then Defensive systems -- because that's the first thing you look for when being attacked -- then Movement systems, then Spotting Systems -- because that's the last thing you do in a turn.  I generally list Single Shot Rockets after White Dice because they can get lost when including them with the weapons and not all Frames have them.  I list the Sprint Die in with the Movement Systems because that feels like the right way to do it.

So it looks like this in practice: Soldier (2Rd/1B/1G/1Y/2W), Recon by Fire (2Ra+d8/2Y/2W), and Brawler (2Rh+d8/2B/1Gd8/2W).

Okay, now that that's done, let's look at my new method for detailing Systems in a quick manner.

1DF = one Direct Fire System.
2DF = two Direct Fire Systems.
1A = one Artillery System.
2A = two Artillery Systems.
1H = one Melee System.
2H = two Melee Systems.
1D = one Defensive System.
2D = two Defensive Systems.
1M = one Movement System.
2M = two Movement Systems.
1S = one Spotting System.
2S = two Spotting Systems.
1W = one White die.
2W = two White dice.
1SSR = one Single Shot Rocket.
1Sp = one Sprint die.

Once again, I list Weapon Systems first, then Defensive systems, then Movement systems, then Spotting Systems.  Again, I'll list Single Shot Rockets after White Dice.  I'll also list the Sprint Die in with the Movement systems.

Written out it it will look like this: Soldier (1DF/1D/1M/1S/2W), Recon by Fire (2A/2S/2W), and Brawler (2H/2B/1Sp/2W).

I'm not sure how I feel about this at the moment.  I know I don't like the notation I chose for the Sprint Die though.

2 comments:

  1. For the sprint, perhaps Z for zoom.
    For direct fire, elide the D (which gets used for defence) and just use F

    ReplyDelete