Tuesday, December 26, 2023

Terrain Workshop: Container or Tire Fire?

So when pictures of the Construction Trucks and Wrecking Ball Crane set debuted I was instantly interested in the wheels that were being used for one of the vehicles.  They reminded me of older, solid plastic wheels that have been used as terrain by the community in the past.  My initial idea was for them to be some sort of container, maybe like a barrel, so I started working from there.


So this build starts with two of the Hard Plastic, Treaded Wheel 36mm D. w/4 Studs, plus a Friction Pin to hold them together.  I then placed two 2x2 Round Plates, and a Round Jumper on top to bring the parts count to six which makes it 1Hit.  The height of this creation is 12 Plates tall, 12 feet in 6P scale, which definitely makes it Cover.


When I posted them to the Discord for the first time, Shades Corvid made the comment, "Tire Fire!"  That got me thinking about how to change them to be just that.  I changed the Round Jumper to Black and then added a Transparent Neon Orange 1x1 Cone and a Transparent Neon Orange Flame Piece to keep it at six pieces/1 Hit.  The resulting combination is 22 Plates tall or 22 feet in 6P scale.

The second version should fit perfectly in the new Funderdome game and I hope to use the first version at some point as well.  Unfortunately these wheels are only available -- in Black -- in two 4+ sets at the moment.  Which means they're going to be on the expensive side if you're interested in them too.


The wheel combination by themselves is 10 Plates tall -- which means it can still act as cover -- and 11 Plates in diameter.  If you put two of them side by side they form a low, wide wall.  And we've talked in the past about stringing smaller items together and turning them into a longer, segmented wall section.


I hope I've given people ideas or techniques to use in their terrain builds.  Flickr page.

No comments:

Post a Comment