Wednesday, July 31, 2024

Terrain Workshop: Compass Roses 2

I've written before about using a Compass Rose on the battlefield to help "tell a story" about what's happening during the game.  I'm revisiting that concept today.  I generally use a certain set of Printed Tiles from the old Atlantis Treasure game to denote Cardinal Directions.  I'm doing something different for this blog post.


I've used stickers in the past to number Frames in a squad.  I'm incorporating them into the scenery this time around because I've run out of the Printed Tiles I normally use and I also wanted to do something a little different with this build.  I'm using a 2x3 Pentagonal Tile because the point of the tile could denote direction.  They're based on a 6x6 Round Plate.  I originally thought about placing the points of the tiles facing inwards but that only allows you four open Studs to play with and I wanted a little more than that.  I then placed the stickers on the tiles.  I know that the placement isn't perfect, especially the "W", but imperfection adds a little character.


I used this sticker/non-Printed piece technique in the new table-setting I debuted in my group's last game.  You'll get to see it in the battle report on Friday.

So doing things this way is potentially cheaper -- of course I checked after writing this and found that one of the Printed Tiles I use is five cents in a decent quantity on Bricklink.  The Pentagonal Tiles go as low as $0.03 each in small quantities.  I paid $5.99 at Michael's for this package of 209 stickers which comes out to $0.03 per sticker.  Add that to the tile cost and you get roughly $0.06 per Piece.

Aside from the price, the main reason to do something like this is to use Fonts and/or Colors not available in standard Lego printed pieces.  Along with possibly using pieces that aren't normally printed.  I hope this gives people ideas or techniques to use in their terrain builds.  Flickr Page.

No comments:

Post a Comment