Monday, March 16, 2020

Post Game Interview 5

For our seventh game of the year, I broke out the questionnaire again.  As Meara and Marin hadn't been around when I developed this I figured it would be interesting to get their opinions.

1.) Why did you choose the squad composition and size that you brought to today's game?
Marin: Experimenting with mixed HtH and DF, and piling SSRs on one Frame.
PJ Nicht: I was looking to play defense by choice for today's game.
Me: I had a fair amount of success as Primary attacker in the last game so I felt like trying it again.

2.) Did you have a strategy for today's game?
Marin: Not going in.  Strategy evolved in set up.
PJ Nicht: Yes.
Me: Kind of.

2a.) If so, what was it?
Marin:
PJ Nicht: Control a portion of the table, and have all but one mech defending.  The not-defending mech starts off in a place to threaten an opponent's Station and force them to not move forward.
Me: My usual plan of "Hit & Spot", with a dash of Artillery tossed in.

3.) Why did you place your squad on the table the way you did at the start of the game?
Marin: Trying to be able to pincer Meara's defenses while Mantisking took PJ Nicht on. Wanted to try to claim the spare neutral Station then push out from it.
PJ Nicht: I was looking to take up as much space and then pull back, hoping by the time people got to my Stations, the game would be over.
Me: I was trying to overload a quadrant of PJ Nicht's defensive perimeter.  In hindsight, the lone Frame I placed on the other side of PJ Nicht's perimeter prevented them from slipping out the back door and away from my assault.

4.) Did your strategy for today's game change at any point while we were playing?
Marin: Only when it became inconceivable for me to win, ha ha!
PJ Nicht: From the very beginning.
Me: Slightly.

4a.) If so, how?
Marin:
PJ Nicht: Mantisking's placement put him as the biggest threat.  But his Stations were in my perimeter.  So having my melee Frame in a place to stall Mantisking's advancement was not much of an option.  That Frame was also crippled very early on.
Me: I thought I needed more separation between Marin and myself, points-wise, so I attacked him a few times.

5.) After setup, how did you predict the game would go?
Marin: Unsure, had an impressive point deficit and wasn't as secure in my set up as I'd hoped.  If me vs. Meara and Mantisking vs. PJ Nicht kept to their lanes and I had good luck, maybe?
PJ Nicht: I predicted Mantisking would charge in and take my Stations, or try to.  I also thought Meara and Marin wouldn't be much of a threat, just because of distance.
Me: I usually don't think about this too much.  At this point of the game I'm trying to plan out my lanes of attack.

5a.) Who did you think would win?
Marin: Mantisking or Meara.
PJ Nicht: Mantisking.
Me: See my answer above.

6.) Any personal comments you'd like to add?
Marin: Need to make sure to remember, bad rolls really messes with a melee Frame.  Got to get it in close-quarters ASAP, even in set up.
PJ Nicht: I should have been more careful about movement and kept my Frames on my Stations.
Me: I really should have sent my lone Delegator after Marin's open Stations in the second turn instead of using it to pressure PJ Nicht.

The answers I received are under the corresponding questions.  Any mistakes in reporting are mine.  Meara declined to answer, citing aversion to paperwork.

I hope this gives some insight to the strategy and tactics of the Stone Garden 2 game.

No comments:

Post a Comment