Monday, June 13, 2022

Terrain Workshop: Papercraft Silo

So I'm back on my Papercraft trip again.  I had an idea last week on how to make a silo using paper sections to make the sides.

The initial thought was using a 4x4 Round Brick w/Pinholes forming the base attachment points.  I then dug into my stash of Supports and came up with a 2x2x8 Support w/Grooves & Top Peg to provide the height.  It's topped out by a 4x4 Inverted Dish and a 1x1 Round Tile.  The paper sections are 3.75" L x 2.5" W and are standard copier paper.  In 6P Scale these are roughly 10' wide by 34' tall.  There are 12 pieces so it will take 2 Hits before being destroyed.

Small Silo


Parts












I then moved up to the 6x6 Round Plate for the next size using a 2x2x10 Triangular Girder for spacing.  Without the pin holes from the 4x4 Round Brick I had to add in some 1x2 Technic Bricks w/Hole for attachment points for the paper, still using 1x1 Round Plates to secure them.  It's topped out by a 6x6 Inverted Dish (Solid Studs).  The paper sections are 3" L x 3.75" W.  In 6P Scale these are roughly 15' wide by 34' tall.  There are 14 pieces so it will take 3 Hits before being destroyed -- you should be able to sneak in four more pieces take make it an even 18.  I'll admit these were the most difficult to assemble.

Medium Silo


Parts












Moving up again in size, the largest silo uses the 4x8 Half Circle Plate to define the diameter and the 2x2x13 Support w/5 Pinholes to provide the spacing.  I keep the 1x2 Technic Bricks w/Hole for attachment points for the paper, again using 1x1 Round Plates to secure them.  I added in four 4x4 Macaroni Bricks and four 1x2 Bricks to pad out the parts count a little.  It's topped out by a 8x8 Inverted Dish (Solid Studs).  The paper sections are 4" L x 4.5" W.  In 6P Scale these are roughly 20' wide by 46' tall.  There are 24 pieces so it will take 4 Hits before being destroyed.

Large Silo


Parts













One of the fun things about these builds is that, due to the pieces with Pinholes, you could possibly replace the 1x1 Round Plates with Friction Pins and run 7mm Ribbed Hose between the silos like they held some sort of liquid or as if they were giant stills.  Unfortunately the assembly of the larger silos was so annoying I didn't try.  I think the for the six stud across designs would be best to replace the 1x2 Technic Bricks with 2x6x1.3 Technic Brick w/Axle Holes.  That then brings into question the center support.  I guess that will be grist for a future blog post.

Once again, I hope people like this continuing exploration of using paper in terrain builds.

No comments:

Post a Comment