Monday, November 1, 2021

War College: Rook Maneuver Revisit

Let's take another look at setting up the Rook Maneuver.  In the last game my group played there was another attempt at it.  I'm going to use a picture from that outing to illustrate how it could work.


In this picture you see the majority of Tom's squad arrayed in a stack (green outline).  They're all configured for Melee combat and ready to drive through the perimeter (blue line) and into my area of control.  His station, which I captured during the Set-Up Phase, is outlined in red.

As you can see Occam's Spork's, PJ Nicht's, and Narbey's squads are arrayed below and somewhat behind Tom's squad due to the Perimeter defined by my Squad.  This gives Tom a fairly unimpeded line of attack from his squad to my Frame which is currently controlling his station.  After that he has a direct line to my station which is unguarded.

Now I would have placed the Station further away from Occam's Spork's forces (pink dot).  This would give a cleaner line of attack into my squad and a lessened chance of interference from Occam's Spork's Frames.  This choice would free up my Green Soldier frame for placement somewhere else though and that wouldn't be optimal in setting up a clean a decisive attack run.  But, the actual placement increases the chance of combat breaking out between myself and Occam's Spork which is always good for the third player.  Let you and him fight and wear each other down is always a good mantra for Mobile Frame Zero.

The Initiative Stack at the start of the game was this: myself, PJ Nicht, Tom, Occam's Spork, then Narbey.  Hypothetically it goes I pass, PJ Nicht passes, Tom's lead Frame activates targeting my Green Soldier frame with a SSR.  As a first attack it will likely be unsuccessful, undamaged Frames generally end up having a 6 for Defense and the median attack roll for a SSR can't beat that without a good Spot.  After the unsuccessful attack Tom moves that Frame towards my Blue Delegator frame and places a median 3.5 Spot on my Green Soldier.  Assume I make an unsuccessful retaliation for my attack -- which is statistically likely -- my Frame doesn't move and places a 3.5 Spot.  The Initiative stack goes back to the top, I pass, PJ Nicht passes, Tom's second Frame activates targeting my Green Soldier frame with a SSR.  With the prior 6 Defense, 3.5 spot, and a median 4.5 Attack the damage roll will be two dice -- although it will probably be higher due to the early game having full dice compliments.  Let's be generous and assume both dice come up as Hits.  I eat one Hit -- probably dropping my Direct Fire system -- and Station Dance to avoid the other.  Tom's second Frame moves directly towards his Station and re-Spots my Green soldier. We return to the top of the Initiative Stack.  Wash, Rinse, Repeat.

If you read the battle report you'll know the game didn't play out that way.  I'm just showing how I would have potentially played that set up.  I'm also hoping this helps people think about how to implement the Rook Maneuver.

No comments:

Post a Comment