Friday, July 28, 2023

Battle Report: Airfield Ambush 6

After a seeing a comment about "we don't see enough transports" in the MFZ community a week or so ago, I had some thoughts about my group's upcoming game and which table-setting we were going to use.  After settling on "Airfield Ambush" -- which hadn't seen use in close to two two years -- I figured I'd add some things in, swap some things around, and try to generally improve a battlefield that's been around for six years.

Phungkyjams (4 Frames & 16 Systems) = (7 Points per Asset) * (6 assets) = 42 points.  (Strikehands)
   Bright Light Yellow -- 2Rh/2Ra/2Y/2W.
   Dark Blue Hammer -- 2Rd/2B/1Y/2W + SSR.
   Red Fast Swarmer -- 2Rh+d8/1G+d8/1Y/2W.
   Orange Soldier -- 2Rd/1B/1G/1Y/2W + SSR (x2).

Me (5 Frames & 19 Systems) = (4 Points per Asset) * (7 assets) = 28 points.  (Flying Saucers)
   Brown Commando -- 2Rh/1B/1Gd8/2Y/2W.
   White Commando -- 2Rh/1B/1Gd8/2Y/2W + SSR.
   Red Commando -- 2Rh/1B/1Gd8/2Y/2W + SSR.
   Blue Commando -- 2Rh/1B/1Gd8/2Y/2W + SSR.
   Yellow Stalker -- 2Ra+d8/1G/2W.

Occam's Spork (5 Frames & 20 Systems) = (3 Points per Asset) * (7 assets) = 21 points.
   White Recon by Fire -- 2Ra+d8/2Y/2W.
   Orange Tank
 -- 2Rd+d8/2B/2W.
   Grey Soldier -- 2Rd/1B/1G/1Y/2W + SSR.
   Blue 
Soldier -- 2Rd/1B/1G/1Y/2W + SSR.
   Brown 
Soldier -- 2Rd/1B/1G/1Y/2W + SSR.

This is what the table looked like at the start of the game.













Events of Round 1 (DDC@11):
 Phungkyjams' Bright Light Yellow (BLY) frame captures my Orange station before the game starts.  Phungkyjams' Red frame smashes the building for 3 and then runs West towards Occam's Spork's forces.  Occam's Spork's Blue frame moves North-Northeast and hits Phungkyjams' Red frame for 1.  Phungkyjams' BLY frame hits the Cargo Plane for 1.  Phungkyjams' Dark Blue frame blasts Occam's Spork's Orange frame for 6, destroying it, then moves South-Southwest towards Occam's Spork's forces.  My Yellow frame hits Phungkyjams' BLY frame for 3, Station Dance, then it floats South off the Cargo Plane.  Phungkyjams' Orange frame moves East then hits Occam's Spork's Blue frame for 3.


Phungkyjams
: 49 points.
Me: 24 points.
Occam's Spork: 18 Points.






Events of Round 2 (DDC @ 9): My Yellow frame hits Phungkyjams' Red frame for 1.  My White frame floats West and captures Phungkyjams' "Fire" station.  Occam's Spork's White frame hits Phungkyjams' Red frame for 2, while trying to hit Phungkyjams' Dark Blue frame.  Phungkyjams' Dark Blue frame hits Occam's Spork's Grey frame for 1.  Occam's Spork's Grey frame hits Phungkyjams' Red frame for 3, destroying it.  My Red frame hits Phungkyjams' Dark Blue frame for 3, with a SSR, and captures Phungkyjams' "Horse" station.  Phungkyjams' Orange frame hits Occam's Spork's Brown frame for 1 then continues moving East to square up to a Swingwing Jet.


Me:
 32 points.
Phungkyjams: 28 points.
Occam's Spork: 18 Points.






Events of Round 3 (DDC @ 7): Occam's Spork's White frame moves West across the ball field and hits Phungkyjams' BLY frame for 1, Station Dance.  Occam's Spork's Blue frame then takes a few steps North and captures Phungkyjams' (my) station.  Occam's Spork's Brown frame retreats between his Stations then hits the Fuel Silo for 2, destroying it, and hits my Red frame for 1.  My Yellow frame floats North across the Cargo Plane and hits Phungkyjams'  BLY frame for 4, destroying it.


Me:
 32 points.
Occam's Spork: 21 Points.
Phungkyjams: 14 points.






Events of Round 4 (DDC @ 4):  My Blue frame floats Northwest over the partially wrecked building and slices Occam's Spork's Blue frame for 6, destroying it.  Occam's Spork's Brown frame continues the assault on my Red frame -- which floats West -- hitting it for 3.  My Yellow frame floats North slightly and hits Occam's Spork's White frame for 4.


Me:
 32 points.
Occam's Spork: 18 Points.
Phungkyjams: 14 points.






Events of Round 5 (DDC @ 1):   My Blue frame floats West and recaptures my Orange station.  My Red frame floats West over Occam's Spork's Brown frame and bumps it for 1.  Occam's Spork's Brown frame ripostes for 2, destroying my Red frame.  Occam's Spork's Grey frame punches my Brown frame for 5, Station Dance.  Occam's Spork's Grey frame then captures my (
Phungkyjams') station.  Phungkyjams' Dark Blue frame finishes its long Northwesterly trek and captures my Blue station.  The Doomsday Clock is ticked to zero.


Me:
 24 points.
Phungkyjams: 21 points.
Occam's Spork: 18 Points.





Here are several during and aftermath pictures.

Start

Start










Round 2
Round 1
Start
Round 1

Round 2
Round 4
Round 3

Round 3

Round 4
Round 5












Round 5
Round 5
Round 5

Round 5
Round 5











Round 5
Round 5










Round 5
Thoughts & Observations:
  • This was a Skirmish.
  • We had a case of Accidental Defender.
  • The idea for my squad composition has been sitting in my head for a couple of months now.
  • It lacked mid-range punch, so I'll probably swap out a Commando for a Squad Leader in future uses.
  • We had a successful application of the Rook Maneuver.
  • In fact all three players controlled the same Station at various times throughout the game.
  • I added a couple of baseplates when we used this table-setting last in 2021.
  • But this is the first time I've added terrain/Cover to the battlefield since its first use.
  • I've had the helicopter and the other fighter assembled for a while.
  • One of the tractor trailers debuted in the Roadway Rumble table-setting.
  • The other I built in the week leading up to the game.
  • The micro-trees/giant bushes were built the day before.
  • I also added a Compass Rose to the roof of the building.
  • Which makes this the first actual use of it in one of my table-settings.
  • Flickr page.

No comments:

Post a Comment