Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Purity: 38952 Ocean Attack Review

Now it occurs to me, that while I compared some of the parts from this set to Lego parts way back in the day, I never really did a proper review of this set.  So let's give it a shot.

The box.  Nice and solid.  This is currently running $6.98 at Toys'R'Us.  It's listed at $7.99 on the Hasbro site.  It has 66 pieces.







The instructions and stickers.





Parts 1.  One of those "gun muzzle" 1x1 Rounds, two of those multi-clip 1x2 bricks, two round end 1x1 rounds, three of the modified 1x1 Brick w/a 1x1 round sticking out of the side are what catch my eye right away.  Oh, what about the 1x1 round with studs on both sides?




Parts 2.  I might as well just say that everything in this picture catches my eye.  Except for maybe the 4x4 plate.






Here's the Kreon.  I really want to make use of that helmet/backpack piece.  The speargun and flippers could come in handy too.  You could also use this as a mecha stand in at 4P scale.




The Questions:
Can you build a frame, or frames, right away? Not really, I tried.  (-5)
Is it below, at, or above the golden ratio? Above.  (-10) @ $0.11 or $0.12 per Piece depending on source.
If you can't build a frame right away, or choose not to, does it have parts you should be able to put into use right away? Yes.  (+5)
Does it have more than a handful of immediately useful parts? Yes.  (+5)

Score: -5 (B-).  You should be able to build a station or two right away with this set, or use it to enhance another set you have.

No comments:

Post a Comment