Monday, December 19, 2022

Terrain Workshop: The Evolution of Owen's Crossing

The inspiration for this table-setting comes from one of my players asking about playing a game in an urban setting.  For a while the idea was a no-go because of the price of Lego baseplates.  Then Make-It Blocks started selling $1.00 baseplates and everything changed.

This is the first time I started working on it.



This should give you an idea of just how much space this covers.  I
 measured it, just in case you're curious, it's 41" long x 36.5" wide.

So after looking at that first photo it gave me the idea to change things up a little.  Most of those buildings are rectangular and while they are all different colors there's a sameness to them that I didn't like.  The addition of the Blue baseplate -- for a splash park/wading pool -- helped liven things up a bit.




I did more work on collecting parts for buildings and I managed to find one of my old buildings stashed away in some boxes from my move, so the table-setting took a quantum leap forward from the first picture.


I'm going to turn the FLW Building towards the far street and that should give me room enough to put another building behind it.  


I added two of my second generation Medium Sized Buildings to the map.  They look like some sort of warehouse structures here.  Roofing on most of the structures is closer to being finalized as well.


A street level view gives us a better look at the elevation of the office building next to the warehouses.  I also moved the panels in the Black & White building to the corners.






In an effort to add more Cover and make it look a little more "normal" I added in some of my Paper Tree designs, including my most recent design.  I modified one of the design from the first post into some sort of "shrub tree" as well.  I also added the last row of baseplates back in so it's now the same area as the first photo.


I feel like I need to add one more large building, a small building, and some cars for this to look really awesome.  But I'm happy with the initial roll-out.


There are even some interesting little details that you can't see due to the camera angles I used.  :-)  Here's the battle report in case you want more pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment