Tuesday, December 6, 2022

PAX Unplugged 2022 Report

Day 0: I got in to Philly at a reasonable hour after avoiding NYC entirely on the drive down.  I checked into my hotel and promptly got stuck in traffic due to a Christmas tree lighting event and putting the wrong garage in my satnav.  Got to the hall and the booth where everything was already set up and dropped off my stuff.  Joshua and I went into Chinatown for dinner, then I wandered around a bit, then I went to my hotel to catch up on my internet traffic and crash.













Christmas tree.











Zamboni!












Day 1: Got up early-ish, walked to the con with  friend, snagged a facsimile of breakfast, got to the booth, and did a little set up of my own.  Then I talked to the Miniatures section about using a table in their area instead of our assigned demo table, talked to Joshua, Hanna, and Evan for a bit, took some pictures, then went to set up the demo table.  I did one demo before lunch, talked to a few people, then finally ran back to back demos around 4pm.  Knocked off at 5:45, went to get Kung Fu Tea, did some bargain hunting, visited Fat Jacks Comics, got frustrated with the hotel wi-fi being out, then got pho for dinner before crashing.


The long view.













Armor!
Waiting line.























Snap Ships.












New demo set up!












Day 2: Got up before my alarm, dropped off and picked up stuff from the car, had a real breakfast, got to the hall early to set up and take pictures.  Ran a demo for a young girl right at the opening -- she was awesome -- then my friend Pete arrived, and I ran a refresher demo for Joe Sites and a couple of gentlemen from the day before.  Then the six player(!) game started -- yet another at PAX -- which took us roughly 3.5 hours from set up to tear down.  Went to dinner with Pete, took a walk to the Philadelphia Museum of Art and climbed the steps -- yes, those steps -- then went back to my hotel and crashed.

Pika!












Day 3: Got up even earlier, checked out of the hotel, dropped my stuff in the car, got breakfast, did some bargain shopping, got to the hall and chilled out in the booth.  Ran one demo almost an hour after opening.  Skipped back to the booth for some things I forgot, returned to find Pete running a demo.  Sat around for a while more, packed up, had lunch -- Tambayan in Reading Market, the best food I had at the con -- walked through the con and did some shopping, said my goodbyes and left early.

Christmas tree in daylight.

I love this entranceway.












Demo!












Random thoughts about the con.
  • Sitting around between demos has not gotten any easier.  I had an interesting discussion about this with my boothmates on Sunday(?).
  • The new demo kit worked well.  It still needs some tweaks to be where I want it to be, but otherwise it was a good start.
  • Starting the Doomsday Clock at "5" for demos sped things up a fair amount and it felt like if removed some of the "dead space" of the prior way I used to do it.
  • I got mad props for my Philadelphia Phantoms jersey.
  • I believe I sold out of my left-over Rulers from the last con, which is cool.
  • I was working on another retail item but the material didn't arrive before the con started.
  • I've started thinking about producing Starter Kits year-round, instead of having to scramble before the start of every con to assemble them.
  • We had a fair amount of interest in the game on Saturday but I have yet to see any pictures online.
  • That game was pretty awesome.  I should have a battle report up on Friday.
  • If we had one more player join we would have had to split into 3 and 4 player games.  Which would have been massive having two games running at once.
  • Is it bad that I'm really looking forward to next year?

No comments:

Post a Comment